Thursday 28 March 2013

WWE Top 100 Raw Moments Part 1: The Countdown - DVD Review

I have a little confession for you, although long-time readers may already know what I’m about to say.

I’m no longer a regular viewer of Raw. I do catch the occasional snippet, mainly on the highlight shows, but the times when I go out of my way to watch WWE’s flagship show are long gone. However, there was a time when I would move heaven and earth to watch this show, especially during the now-fabled Monday Night Wars.

So it was with a great deal of anticipation that I sat down to watch another of WWE’s recent DVD releases, Top 100 Raw Moments.

This three disc set follows the tried and tested formula that television shows around the world have followed. Get a list of favourite moments, insert some talking head segments gleamed from the video archive, and Bob’s your uncle, you’ve got your very own list show.

Spread over the first two discs this countdown brought back some rather fond memories. It was great to take a trip into the past to see some of those moments again, as well as seeing some moments I’ve never seen before.

It certainly was a very interesting collection, but what surprised me a little is that only a few actual matches made the list. Raw hasn’t always been just about the backstage and in-ring segments. Despite what they might tell you these days it is a wrestling show. Mind you, my complaint about the lack of matches being chosen could come back to haunt me if they release a Top 100 Raw Matches collection.

But despite this somewhat minor complaint I found myself really enjoying this compilation. WWE have done a really good job with this one, and while I’m tempted to tell you what made it to the top of the list I won’t. Instead I’ll just tell you that this thing is getting the big thumbs up.

But wait a minute, I hear you cry! You said this was a three disc set! You haven’t mentioned the third disc yet!

That isn’t an oversight, and the reason for that is simple. Disc three contains Raw’s 1,000th episode, and as I’ve never seen that show in full I’m going to give it the old review treatment in the next instalment. So as the old saying goes, To Be Continued…..

With thanks to Fremantle Media and Fetch Publicity for supplying a copy of this release. Top 100 Raw Moments is available to buy online at www.wwedvd.co.uk.
 

Also check out TBL Wrestling at www.tblwrestling.com, one of the sites that carries The Two Sheds Review. It’s been around even longer than I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment